Toothman, John "Chris"
The Drafting/Design Engineering Technology program at Pierpont Community & Technical College is designed to provide students with practical knowledge, technical skills, verbal and written communication skills, and the mathematical ability required to develop various drawings used for illustration, industrial applications, and architectural design. Strong emphasis is placed on projection theory, American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards, and modern industrial practice.
- Use tools and technologies of the CAD draftsperson effectively
- Use a computer workstation to produce engineering drawings and manage engineering related data
- Demonstrate competency with manual drawing on a board
- Comply with drafting Standards
- Complete and edit drawings in the various disciplines
- Design, analyze, and use engineering drawings to improve process and products
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality and continuous quality improvement
- Demonstrate skills of oral, written, and graphical communication
- Appreciate and engage in life- long learning
- Function as a team member
- Understand the importance of ethical behavior in the professions, society, and economy
- Enter the job market or continue pursuing and advanced degree
Graduates with this A.A.S. degree are qualified for entry-level technical positions in engineering, architectural, and or manufacturing-related firms. The strong math, science, and communication background provided by this degree allows graduating students to enter the job market as technicians, supervisors, and project managers. Specific job titles include drafter, tracer, design drafter, designer, CAD operator, engineering assistant, engineering technicians, graphics specialist, and project manager.
In addition to meeting the minimum residence requirements for graduation, students in Drafting/Design Engineering Technology must successfully complete a minimum of 12 hours of technical work at Pierpont Community & Technical College.
Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering (ATMAE)
1390 Eisenhower Place
Ann Arbor, MI 32095