Pierpont Community & Technical College is now using ACCUPLACER as its test to determine whether students with no or low or outdated ACT or SAT scores are eligible for traditional 3-credit courses in ENGL and MTH or if they are required to take extended credit courses or additional co-requisite support classes. Note: Students who have scored at Level 3 or higher on the State of WV ELA and Math tests their junior year of high school may enroll in traditional 3-credit classes regardless of their ACT scores.
Are Students Required to take Placement Tests?
- NO. Any student with low or no scores is permitted to enroll in the extended credit hour versions of MTH and ENGL without taking the ACCUPLACER.
- Students may also use COMPASS test results from the past two years or ACT scores from the past five years.
Where Can Students Take the Test?
- Fairmont campus, 248 Hardway Hall, M-F; walk-in hours 10am-3pm
- Caperton Center, Clarksburg, by appointment: 304-367-4030
- Lewis Co. site, Weston, by appointment: 304-368-7257
- MTEC, Morgantown, by appointment: Anita.Davis@pierpont.edu
What do Students Need to Bring to Test Site?
Students must bring a photo ID. Nothing else is permitted in the testing room. All scrap paper and pencils are provided, and a calculator is built in to the exam; no outside aids permitted. You will be asked to leave your phone at the front desk and your friends and family in the waiting area.
What Scores Qualify a Student for a 3-credit MTH and ENGL 1104?
- Students whose majors require MTH 1207 must score an 84+ on Arithmetic.
- Students whose majors require all other MTH must score a 76+ on Elementary Algebra.
- Students must score 88+ on Sentence Skills to be eligible for 3-credit and on-line sections of ENGL 1104.
- A Reading Comprehension score of 79+ may be required of some academic majors.
How Can Students Prepare for the ACCUPLACER?
- Students may also visit www.khanacademy.org to review individual content areas.
How Many Times Can a Student Test?
- Testing policy allows students to test up to two times each semester (Fall; Spring; Summer 1 and Summer 2 are each considered a “semester.”)
- Students are encouraged to wait at least a week before re-testing in order to review.
If your most recent test scores exempt you from the ACCUPLACER test, then be sure to have official results mailed to us as soon as possible:
Pierpont Community & Technical College
Attn: Enrollment Services
1201 Locust Ave.
Fairmont, WV 26554
For any questions please contact:
Director of Advising & Assessment