Disability Services

or call 304-534-7878 OR Email

If you have mobility issues, check out our website with campus maps and videos!

Click on the link below.

Know Your Campus

Disability Services Student Guidebook

At Pierpont, we work closely with students to determine reasonable accommodations that will help them be successful in their schooling.  

Many students who were under an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan during high school could qualify for services, as will many other students who might not have received any specialized services during their K-12 education.
Students should contact the Disability Services Office to discuss any disability that might interfere with the pursuit of their education.  Approved accommodations are determined on an individual basis.

Located at the Advanced Technology Center

500 Galliher Drive Fairmont, WV

To Make an Appointment Call 304-534-7878  or  email


Click on the drop down boxes below to access more information on the listed topics. 

Our Mission:  In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, our Office of Disability Services provides support services and programs that enable students with disabilities to receive equal access to an education within legal mandates. We coordinate academic accommodations and support services, promoting independence and self-advocacy, and providing information and referral to appropriate resources. Our activities ensure that all Pierpont educational programs are accessible to qualified students with disabilities. We assist our students in reaching their full potential by fostering a supportive and inclusive educational environment through building and maintaining partnerships with faculty and staff, promoting disability awareness among all members of the College community, and providing guidance regarding College policies and procedures. We advocate that students be judged on their abilities, not on their (dis)abilities.


Disability Services

Accommodation Info

Students must register in order to receive accommodations.

Make your appointment to REGISTER NOW! or call 304-534-7878

To register, the student must have a face-to-face interview with a counselor.
Once registered, students may request academic accommodations.

Who qualifies for accommodations?

A person who:
  1. Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity;
  2. Has a record or history of such an impairment; or
  3. Is regarded as having such an impairment.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to: physical, visual, hearing, emotional, cognitive, learning, speech, and language issues. Major life activities include, but are not limited to: walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, test-taking, working, caring for oneself, and performing manual tasks.

How do I obtain services and accommodations?

You need to contact our office.
According to Section 504 and the ADA, it is the student’s responsibility to identify himself/herself. At Pierpont College, this means that you must seek assistance from Disability Services.
At your initial appointment: You will learn about the disability services provided by Pierpont College, in addition to the process of determining those accommodations.
  • You will be asked to provide the following information upon application: demographic information; your statement of or documentation of diagnosis; and descriptions of the problem(s) created by the disability.
  • You and the disability services' coordinator will develop an Individualized Accommodation Plan that will detail your accommodations while attending Pierpont College. You will be provided with a letter to your faculty, which you will discuss with individual faculty members in private meetings that you request.
  • You can register anytime,but the sooner the better.
  • You can even register before the semester begins.

The Office of Disability Services is committed to continuously working toward removing barriers and providing equal access to all educational opportunities on campus by identifying and incorporating appropriate accommodations and services. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, students with disabilities are due reasonable accommodations in their academic pursuits. A student’s disability should not unfairly interfere with his or her learning process or evaluation and grading. To that end, our staff collaborates with students, instructors, staff, and community members to create diverse learning environments that are usable, equitable, inclusive and sustainable.

Accommodations for Visitors to Campus

For visitors to our campus who need any accommodations (ex. sign language interpreter or wheelchairs) for events, please contact our office using the information below.

Disability Services FAQ

What type of documentation do I need to bring to my appointment?

In order to qualify for services offered by the Office of Disability Services, a student should provide official documentation to a member of our staff at the initial meeting.

The student’s disability should be diagnosed by a qualified professional e.g., psychologist, psychiatrist, physician) and include a clear statement of the student’s disability. It is preferable that the documentation include the student’s disability, the impact the disability has on the student, and recommendations for reasonable accommodations. It is also helpful for a student to bring their Individualized Educational Program (IEP) from the last grade they attended and testing results to the initial meeting if they have these.

What if I do not have documentation?

If you do not have documentation, make an appointment, and we can discuss how you can obtain documentation. Contact your local Division of Rehabilitation Services for additional resources. In West Virginia, call toll free 1-800-642-8207.

What accommodations are available?

The Office of Disability Services recognizes that individuals have a wide range of diverse characteristics and experiences, and this diversity is an integral aspect to society. As part of our effort to remove barriers, we work closely with students to identify academic accommodations and services that are most appropriate. Students must register with our office in order to receive these accommodations and services. Examples of accommodations and support services may include, but are not limited to:
  • priority registration
  • alternative testing formats and environment
  • classroom accommodations
  • note-taking support
  • alternative textbook formats
  • sign language interpreting
  • housing accommodations
Please note that this list is by no means exhaustive, and that our office is dedicated to developing accommodations fit for each individual. Our services are as unique and varied as our students. We also work to eliminate any barriers and provide accommodations for our visitors. Please contact our office to discuss any accommodations needed as a visitor.
Pierpont Community & Technical College does not assume responsibility for providing accommodations or services to students who have not identified themselves to our office as having a qualifying disability.
Students must provide their professors with a copy of their accommodation letter each semester in order to receive their accommodations.

Disabled Parking

Students, faculty, and staff who wish to use a disabled parking space on campus must obtain a Campus Disabled Parking Permit from Student Services. To obtain this parking permit, students, faculty, and staff must present the West Virginia registration for the Disabled Parking Permit issued in their name along with their campus identification card. Students, faculty, and staff with a FSU issued disabled parking permit may park in designated disabled parking spaces, as well as in any other spaces (faculty/staff spaces) with the exception of metered visitor parking.
For additional information concerning students, faculty, and staff parking and visitor parking on campus, please contact Campus Police at 304-367-4157. For information about obtaining disability plates and placards in the state of West Virginia, please visit West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles.


Faculty Mentor

The Faculty Mentor Committee, an ad hoc committee, came into being during the fall semester of 2015.  The Mentors and our Office are partners in helping each other, other faculty and staff, and Pierpont students.  Counseling & Disability Services Resource Mentors are in a unique situation of being able to educate colleagues and students about mental health concerns and disabilities. Mentors are often visible and active campus community members who have the power to influence what and how colleagues and students think about others. They have a broad view of the services and supports available within our campus community and provide colleagues, as well as students, with information, resources, and referral information when necessary. Mentors play a vital role in being the link among their own departments and the Office of Counseling & Disability Services on campus by developing connections between faculty and staff, and by providing colleagues and students with accurate information. Counseling & Disability Services Resource Mentors serve as role models by accepting, including, and accommodating students who have disabilities or mental health concerns.

Faculty Mentor Link

Faculty Resources

Faculty: Click on the form that you need listed below.

Don't Cancel That Class!
Submit Test for Proctoring Form
Syllabus Statement
Transcribed Academic Videos (Vast- Library Resource)

Additional Resources:

Disability Services Faculty Handbook
Request Interpreter/Transcriber
Faculty & Staff Connection

If you need assistance, stop by the Office of Counseling & Disability Services, 231-A Hardway Hall, or contact us at 304-534-7878 or by email at

Report an Access Issue on Campus

Please contact our office to report an access issue on campus. This would include any issues with handicap accessible doorways, ramps, elevators, in addition to any suggestions that might improve your physical access on campus.

Student Resources

STUDENTS:  Click on the form below that you need.

Additional Resources:

Disability Services Student Guidebook
Dual Credit Information
Dual Credit Student Guidebook
Request Interpreter/Transcriber

If you need assistance, stop by the Office of Counseling & Disability Services, 231-A Hardway Hall, or contact us at 304-534-7878 or by email at

For more information, visit the the Office of Counseling & Disability Services in person, or contact us using the information below.
Contact Information
Support Services 
Advanced Technology Center - Room 121
Phone: (304) 534-7878
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm - Monday through Friday