THE PRESIDENTIAL PROFILE
The Board of Governors of Pierpont Community & Technical College invites applications and nominations for the position of President. The Board seeks a leader with academic and senior administrative experience to serve as its next President. Committed to advancing the institution to higher levels of achievement, the President of Pierpont will embrace and articulate the mission and strategic plan of the institution.
The President reports directly to the twelve-member Pierpont Board of Governors, nine of whom are appointed by the Governor of West Virginia. The President is responsible for executing the Pierpont Community & Technical College’s strategic plan and the will of the Board. The President is also responsible for developing and making recommendations to the Board on all major policy, program, and budget matters.
The President will strengthen established programs, technology, and services while addressing educational needs in the workforce and institutional partnerships. Highest priorities will be to grow Pierpont’s student enrollment and develop a successful retention plan.
The President will work collaboratively with others, finding common ground when there are diverse viewpoints. The President will use decision making and strategic planning to balance and prioritize challenges and opportunities, keeping the institution on target in accomplishing its goals and aspirations.
The President will effectively govern fiscal resources. The President will know the funding and budgeting process at the state level and ensure that the institution is operationally and fiscally sound. The President will confidently interact with elected and appointed officials, agencies and boards at the state and federal level.
The President will lead the faculty, staff, and students of Pierpont in a supportive, responsive, working and learning environment and will adhere to the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity and credibility.
EXPECTATIONS/CHARACTERISTICS SOUGHT IN THE NEW PRESIDENT
The President of Pierpont will have:
- An understanding of the mission and vision of community and technical colleges
- A record of success as an effective team-oriented leader, motivator and manager of people
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a proven ability to handle multiple competing demands
- A demonstrated commitment to building partnerships and coalitions with business and industry, government agencies, public schools, other colleges and universities, and other community groups
- Experience in supporting and promoting economic development and workforce preparation, including an understanding of the role of a public college in meeting education and training needs
- A proven strategic thinker with the highest level of integrity who is able to collaborate with all college stakeholders, including the Board of Governors
- Demonstrated success in institutional advancement such as revenue generation, fundraising, and development
- An ability and willingness to make tough decisions based upon research and data
Among the personal characteristics of highest priority are:
- A demonstrated leader and proven manager with the ability to motivate, inspire, and instill confidence in others
- An active listener who is open and approachable and accessible to students, faculty, staff, and others
- A person comfortable with high public visibility and experience with developing partnerships and alliances
- A thoughtful leader with a track record of integrating cutting edge programs and ideas
- An energetic self-starter who is flexible and be able to prioritize multiple tasks
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
The candidate for President of Pierpont must have:
- Doctorate or other terminal degree, along with significant and relevant administrative leadership and faculty/academic experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A record of building partnerships and coalitions with business, government, public schools, colleges and universities, and other community groups
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Foster and enhance collaboration with the communities the college serves
- Expand student enrollment and retention
- Lead the college in the successful achievement of its strategic priorities
- Provide effective leadership in supporting and promoting economic development and workforce preparation, academic excellence, fundraising, and marketing